Monday, June 21, 2010

Long County Commission Chairman Resigns Post due to conflict of interest & other things as well

The Glennville Setinel is reporting that Long County Commissioner Bobby Walker turned in a letter on Monday, June 7, resigning as the Chairman of the Long County Board of Commissioners.

According to the letter, Walker stated that the reason he was stepping down from his leadership position was due to questions of his integrity in relation to him having members of his family employed by the county. The letter also said that, as a result of the talk of nepotism, he felt that “it takes away from the integrity of this board and the proper administration of this office.”

On Wednesday, June 9, Walker said that he never thought questions like this would arise, especially since his wife had been an employee with the county for six years, and his son had been employed for a year.
“I don’t have a problem with anyone, and I’m not doing this because I’m disgruntled or anything like that. I’m going to continue to work hard for the county and fulfill my responsibilities to the 5th District,” said Walker.

Walker also stated in his letter that a second reason he felt that he should step down as the chairman was that he did not agree with some of the county offices not being willing to change for the betterment of Long County

I stand behind saying that there are offices that don’t want to work together, and that needs to stop,” said Walker.

Walker also said, “People don’t realize it, but this job (Chairman) takes a lot of your time. Another reason I’m stepping down is I want to spend more time with my family and my grandson...for that matter, I think I’m going to start playing golf again.”

Walker said that his resignation from the chair position will take effect on July 6, which is when the next County Commissioners’ meeting is scheduled. At that time, the Commission will elect another chairman.

There’s not a problem with anything or anybody, nothing like that. I just think it’s time for a change,” said Walker.

No comments:

These Democratic Women Are Rising Stars and Their Futures are Bright

  Former State Senator and potential '26 gubernatorial candidate Jen Jordan Tift County Board of Education member Pat McKinnon State Rep...