Thursday, February 4, 2010

Shhh.....Don't Ask, Don't Tell



Photo Courtesy of Sarah G...


I realize I'm the more progressive contributor to Peanut Politics so my opinion may spark a debate, but I assure you, that isn't my intention. I just wanted to chime in on the subject.

I am a veteran of the U.S. Navy. I served for 7 years and 7 months. Of those years, I spent 5 years on board the USS Kentucky. During my time on board, I served with two (that I know of) closeted gay individuals. Had they been open about their sexuality, they would have caused a disturbance in unit cohesion. That cannot be denied.

But integration of the armed services to allow African-Americans to serve caused (and sometimes still causes) a disturbance in unit cohesion. Whenever we force people to work with, live with, or associate with someone of a different or even unknown background, there will be tension. Does that mean that we, as a society, should stop any effort from moving forward? Absolutely not.

I realize there is some fear of homosexuals, though I don't quite understand it. Where does the fear come from? Is it religious? Are you afraid they are going to affect your relationship with whichever deity you worship? Is it disgust? Are you repulsed by their sexual preference? Or is it simply a lack of tolerance for anything that is different? I'm curious. Why do we hate "the gays" so much?

No comments:

These Democratic Women Are Rising Stars and Their Futures are Bright

  Former State Senator and potential '26 gubernatorial candidate Jen Jordan Tift County Board of Education member Pat McKinnon State Rep...