Saturday, November 14, 2009

Lt. Governor of Georgia

*This is my first blog on Peanut Politics and I thank Keith for having me on to share some of my political ramblings. Since this is my first one, I'm just going to keep it simple and to the point and reflect on some things I've read regarding next years election.*

I recently spoke with Rep. Amy Carter (D-Valdosta) about the possibility of running for Lt. Governor. She told me that she loved her job and her life in Valdosta entirely too much to consider giving it up for the chance to live in Atlanta. I can't say that I blame her. I have only been living in Valdosta for about seven months but it is really starting to grow on me.

Another prospect for Lt. Governor is Senator Tim Golden. I think Sen. Golden would be a great candidate to win over rural voters but we would be left with the problem of filling his seat. I'm privileged to live in a county where all of our legislators are democrats. With the top down realignment in the south, I'm afraid we are facing the possibility of losing even more seats on the state level in the next two elections. Golden at least has the incumbency advantage to take to the polls with him. I'm afraid that if Golden runs for it, we will lose the senate seat to a republican.

What about you reader? Do you have any candidates that you would like to see run for Lt. Governor? What about the possibility of losing state level seats in the house and senate? Do you think we can turn the tides and get democrats elected?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to see a woman run for that spot, but there aren't many to choose from. state rep. sistie hudson of sparta (hancock co.) would me great. or a mayor like deke coperhaver of augusta, who is a independent. but the one person who would be great for it is carl camon, ex ray city mayor. match his credentials with casey cagle and tell me he can't give cagle a run for his money or he could run for tim golden's state senate seat if he were to run for lt. governor. let's not forget my former state senator michael meyer von bremen of albany, who was great to us here in mitchell county.

Keith said...

Message via mobile: great post kel. i have mentioned tim golden as someone who would give dems their best chance of defeating cagle in 2010 & i have also mentioned mike meyer von bremen as well but he may run for mayor of albany next year. besides those two i don't know who else should run. the person above mentioned deke coperhaver. now that makes alot of sense. he views are of that of a moderate democrat. if he were courted to run i think he would run. as for carl camon, i've met him twice and he is a very impressive candidate who's appeal crosses party and racial lines. i don't know if he would go to the no. 2 spot in the state but just like coperhaver if he were asked, its possible. there is no doubt south ga will lose seats but the majority will be republican held seats. there aren't that many dems left in south ga. its too early to tell though.

These Democratic Women Are Rising Stars and Their Futures are Bright

  Former State Senator and potential '26 gubernatorial candidate Jen Jordan Tift County Board of Education member Pat McKinnon State Rep...