A letter sent to President Obama by Senate Agriculture Committee Chairman Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad, D-N.D., and eight other Democratic senators is intended to counter Rep. Paul Ryan’s budget proposal and discourage the administration from supporting large cuts in farm programs. Ryan has proposed $30 billion in cuts over 10 years to the direct payments and crop insurance programs and $18 billion in additional cuts that would most likely come from conservation programs.
In their letter, the senators pointed to droughts, floods and severe rains that have impacted planting in both the North and the South as proof that “farming is an extraordinarily high-risk undertaking,” showing that “farmers need tools to manage their risk in case of natural disasters and increasingly volatile prices.”The senators noted not only the importance of farm subsidies, but also the need for conservation programs, support for local and regional agriculture, incentives for rural job creation and research to increase productivity.
Read Letter obtained by the Hagstrom Report: Letter to President Obama
- ► 2014 (67)
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (107)
- Alabama Republican Switches to Democratic Party
- (GA-11): What's next for Rob Teilhet? A showdown w...
- The Neuroticism of Fox News
- Will Marshall follow in Footsteps of Nunn, Russell...
- Attention Georgia Farmers: Ryan's Plan Calls for S...
- (GA-2) Sanford Bishop: Past, Present & Future
- Sanford Bishop Receives Legislative Impact Award f...
- (GA-8) DuBose in 2012: Should or will he challeng...
- SD 26: Will Wilkinson County Stand Up?
- Part II: Georgia Democratic Up and Comers
- Why Poor Whites Vote Republican???
- A Dime's Worth of Difference, Huh?
- In the Game of Redistricting, Georgia Republicans ...
- Get Well Rep. Bob Hanner (R-Parrott)
- Paris announces run for SD 26
- Will GA Rep. Paul Broun (R-Athens) be a target in ...
- Will Black Voters in Montezuma Vote for a White Ca...
- From "Nigger" to "States Rights": The Use of Racia...
- GA-SD 12: Shivers v Sims in 2012?
- Sanford Bishop, John Barrow & Racial Gerrymanderin...
- Could it be Deja Vu all over again for John Barrow...
- James Beverly to run for HD 139
- Montezuma, Georgia: A City on the Decline
- Georgia Democrats Need New Stars: a Farm Team.
- Georgia Democrats Needs a Makeover
- Lucas to Run for State Senate. Will Someone Challe...
- ▼ May (26)
- ► 2010 (883)