WTVM Columbus reported yesterday that a Republican lawmaker has switched to the Democratic Party expressing concern that the GOP is pushing an agenda that hurts teachers.
Rep. Daniel Boman (R- Sulligent) announced he was changing parties at a hastily called news conference in a committee room as the House continued to meet in the House Chamber.
House Minority Leader Craig Ford of Gadsden and Alabama Democratic Party Chairman Mark Kennedy stood beside the 36-year-old Boman. He is a lawyer serving his first term in the House.
Boman said he felt Republicans had taken actions this session that he felt hurt school teachers.
Boman represents Lamar, Fayette and parts of Tuscaloosa counties.
Boman was 1 of 10 House Republicans who voted Wednesday against a GOP-backed bill to streamline the process for firing experienced teachers.
- ► 2014 (67)
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (107)
- Alabama Republican Switches to Democratic Party
- (GA-11): What's next for Rob Teilhet? A showdown w...
- The Neuroticism of Fox News
- Will Marshall follow in Footsteps of Nunn, Russell...
- Attention Georgia Farmers: Ryan's Plan Calls for S...
- (GA-2) Sanford Bishop: Past, Present & Future
- Sanford Bishop Receives Legislative Impact Award f...
- (GA-8) DuBose in 2012: Should or will he challeng...
- SD 26: Will Wilkinson County Stand Up?
- Part II: Georgia Democratic Up and Comers
- Why Poor Whites Vote Republican???
- A Dime's Worth of Difference, Huh?
- In the Game of Redistricting, Georgia Republicans ...
- Get Well Rep. Bob Hanner (R-Parrott)
- Paris announces run for SD 26
- Will GA Rep. Paul Broun (R-Athens) be a target in ...
- Will Black Voters in Montezuma Vote for a White Ca...
- From "Nigger" to "States Rights": The Use of Racia...
- GA-SD 12: Shivers v Sims in 2012?
- Sanford Bishop, John Barrow & Racial Gerrymanderin...
- Could it be Deja Vu all over again for John Barrow...
- James Beverly to run for HD 139
- Montezuma, Georgia: A City on the Decline
- Georgia Democrats Need New Stars: a Farm Team.
- Georgia Democrats Needs a Makeover
- Lucas to Run for State Senate. Will Someone Challe...
- ▼ May (26)
- ► 2010 (883)