U.S. Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-Moultrie) is finally becoming the statesman not seen from a Georgia Senator since Sam Nunn retired in 1996.
Chambliss, along with Virginia Senator Mark Warner are leading the way the "Gang of Six" in an effort in the Senate to develop a blueprint for reducing the federal deficit and putting a dent in the $14 trillion national debt.
Chambliss, along with Warner acknowledges that bold steps are needed to tackle the out of control debt & deficit in order to put the US on the right fiscal path for future generations. Items such as raising revenue to cuts to Tax Reform to tackling programs that are part of the American Fabric: Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare. And Defense spending cuts are included as well.
Recently in the House passed Paul Ryan's budget proposal along party lines that not only gives more tax cuts to the wealthy, but will also put medicaid & medicare on the road to extinction, which will drive seniors who depend on those programs up the wall.
Seriously, in order to deal with the fiscal mess this country now faces, lawmakers will have to consider tax increases along with spending cuts & mild reforms to entitlements. No one likes to see their taxes raised, but to use the phrase John McCain used during the '08 campaign: "COUNTRY FIRST" & that's what Chambliss, along with Warner & others have done in trying to deal with this critical issue.
There are already rumblings that Chambliss might receive a challenge in the republican primary in 2014, because his willingness to consider some form of increase in taxes, among other things. I'm not the biggest fan of Saxby Chambliss politics, but on this issue, I'm with him 100%
If Chambliss & Co are able to pull off a deal that directly addresses this issue, they will go down in history as the ones who saved the US from fiscal ruin.
I know a tiger can't change his stripes, but i'm happy to see Chambliss finally becoming a statesman for once in the US Senate instead of some partisan hack. Hopefully this is the beginning of a new Saxby Chambliss
- ► 2014 (67)
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (107)
- 2012: Democrats Are Still Wanted/Need in Rural Geo...
- Is Racism the Driving Force behind all of the Birt...
- (GA-10) Thurmond v Broun in 2012?
- Saxby Chambliss: The Statesman?
- What if..................?
- Majority-Minority Voting Districts and Their Role ...
- Can Austin Scott be beat in 2012?
- President Obama: Drop Biden as running mate in 201...
- Reports are that State Senator Robert Brown is a '...
- Illusory Tax Cuts???
- The Georgia Democratic Party Progress Report Comin...
- Bishop Votes to Reduce Regulatory Burdens on Georg...
- Paul Bronson to run for Macon Mayor
- Again Peanut Politics returns May 3!
- Part 2: The Hottest Democratic Women of Georgia
- ▼ April (16)
- ► 2010 (883)