What happened to the party to the former democratic party?
I'm not old enough to remember, but I always hear about the Democratic Party's "Glory Days", those days which have slipped away, days when the Democrats led the country out of "The Great Depression" with a bank holiday, the W.P.A., the C.C.C.,the P.W.A., the N.R.A., and I don't know how many other alphabet combinations.
It was Democrats who created the minimum wage. They were always in the forefront where labor gains were concerned. But nowadays days are not "glory days." It was Democrats who fought for Social Security, civil rights, and Medicare. Social equality is still a claimed Democrat priority, but these aren't the "glory days."
Environment is a contentious issue, and when there is a conflict between environment and profit, Democrats defend environment. The other guys defend profit. Preservation is a higher purpose than making money, but that doesn't make these the "glory days."
Democrats improved the economy and and achieved a deficit reduction during the Clinton years.
They enacted a crime bill in spite of heavy opposition, but those were not the "glory days."
Why not? And why so many defections from the working middle class which has benefitted so much from past Democrat effort? What's missing?
Nothing is missing. Something has been added: a form of immorality. In its zeal to be all things to all people,the Party has tried to become all-inclusive and the voters' perception of the Party has changed. Many of the faithful have deserted their Party because they can't stomach their fellow travelers. Some have a deep-rooted moral aversion to abortion. Some believe the rights of law-abiding citizens have been subordinated in favor of predatory felons. Most abhor and are disgusted by social acceptance of sodomy and other deviant sexual practices. Their consciences force them to reevaluate ptriorities.
Rightly or wrongly, a very large number of defectors believe that permissive liberalism is responsible for moral decay, bastard babies, proliferation of drugs, crime and pornography, unwarranted welfare, suppression of public prayer, and practically evry other social evil. In their minds, lurks a simple equation. Democrat equals liberal, atheist, permissive, criminal-coddling, homosexual, and abortion.
I recognize the problem, but I don't think desertion is a viable solution. The country needs two strong opposing parties. It needs a healthy, moral Democratic Party. The Party must be retaken by Moderate and Conservative Democrats and former Democrats.
Sometimes when I listen to members of the GOP country club elite, I come to believe that the true meaning of G.O.P. is Greed, Oppression, and Profit. Those who deep down believe that must not be silent, passive observers. We owe it to ourselves to reclaim our party.
Letters to the editors, call-in radio shows, probing questions put to candidates in the primaries, direct correspondence with elected representatives, and most important,the vote, are all tools capable of reshaping the Party.
Our Democratic Party has a shining past. We must not abandon it to the special interest fringes with immoral agendas. Let's take it back!
- ► 2014 (67)
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (107)
- ► 2011 (137)
- The Georgia Democratic Party after the 2010 electi...
- The Democratic Party after the 2010 elections: Par...
- Troup County Democratic Chairman to run for DPG Vi...
- Will the Georgia GOP mis-read this election & over...
- Who should be the next chairman of the DPG?
- Why the Democrats Lose Elections & lose them Big?
- What happened to the old Democratic Party? Bring b...
- Carl Camon: Succeeding To Preserve Morality
- "Old Guard"Georgia Democratic Party (1872-2010)
- DuBose Porter, Carol Porter in 2014?
- Georgia Public Schools & School Vouchers
- Dems becoming more "Blacker & Liberal", GOP bcomin...
- The race for the DPG Chairmanship
- Here are the contenders for the following seats in...
- Georgia Democrats need a "Rural Strategy" aimed at...
- My Biggest Fear is now Coming true
- Kidd in Atlanta Hospital. Condition is Unknown at ...
- Thurmond for DPG Chairman?
- Senate Democratic Caucus Sits on close to $500,000...
- The Makeover is Almost Complete, with 2012 being e...
- What Now for the Georgia Democratic Party?
- Is The Democratic Party Losing Its Democracy?
- A look deep in the race for HD 153
- Albany Herald Wrong About Rep. Sanford Bishop
- Nathan Deal - Trick or Treat - air
- New Jim Marshall TV ADS
- Labor Commissioner Darryl Hicks TV AD
- During Televised Debate, Nathan Deal Blatantly Mis...
- Politico House Tracker
- ▼ November (29)