Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sarah Palin stumping for Democrats? Barrow: She has enough to worry about; Marshall: Interesting thought.

Well that's a new one according to John Barrow (D-GA) a conservative democrat. Jim Marshall (D-GA) another conservative democrat says it's an interesting thought.

From the folks over at Politico:

Rep. John Barrow, who represents a number of rural counties around Augusta and Savannah, Ga., was already walking quickly out of a Democratic Caucus meeting when asked about a Palin visit.

“That’s a new one on me,” Barrow said. “I don’t think she wants to campaign for me.”

Happily getting into an elevator and away from the question, he added: “It’s really not for me to make suggestions to Ms. Palin; she’s got enough to worry about.”

Rep. Jim Marshall, a Democrat who represents a heavily conservative middle and south Georgia seat, sent Palin the warmest signal, if only after a brief filibuster and a bit of prompting.

“That’s an interesting thought,” Marshall said, taking a moment to chat while he took a group of college students around the Capitol. “I’d be happy to talk with her. You know, I think she’s going to have a very interesting career. It’s not surprising to me that she’s decided that she should move from being governor to whatever the next stage of her career is. Wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t see her with a talk show. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a book, one or two.”

Could she be helpful in Georgia?

“I’m sure that there are many ways that she could be helpful,” Marshall said.

For him?

“Well, I suspect so — I just don’t know what ways those are,” he said with a nervous laugh.

How popular is Palin around Marshall’s Macon-area district?

“Oh, I don’t know,” Marshall responded, seeming to tire of the topic.

Asked if Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) carried his district last year, the congressman made clear just why, besides Southern hospitality, he might have been so warm toward Palin.

“McCain got 57 percent,” Marshall said before catching himself.

“McCain-Palin got 57 percent in my district,” he said, emphasizing the governor’s name and offering a final knowing laugh.

No comments:

These Democratic Women Are Rising Stars and Their Futures are Bright

  Former State Senator and potential '26 gubernatorial candidate Jen Jordan Tift County Board of Education member Pat McKinnon State Rep...